Sunday, December 18, 2011

Pumpkin Bundt

After finals-induced hibernation, it is glorious to be back in foodland. I'm catching up on a few things that I made over the last few weeks but never posted about, and I'm planning to do a few posts on the holiday baking that will be happening this week! And I'm pretty sure there's at least one back-logged recipe in my "Drafts" that I can finally publish.

So without further ado, let's get into the eating-est time of the year. With Pumpkin Bundt Cake. Or Bundtkin. I found this recipe on Whipped. You can check out the original recipe here. I've adapted it slightly, mostly because I didn't have buttermilk. I thought subbing in Greek Yogurt was sublime, however.

Ingredients
2 1/4 c flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1.5 - 2 t cinnamon
1/4 t cloves
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t allspice
A dash of nutmeg was all I had left in the bottle! Otherwise I'd probably have gone for about 1/4-1/2 t.
1/2 t salt
3/4 c Greek Yogurt + 1/4 C half and half
2 sticks of butter or shortening
1 1/4 c sugar
3 eggs
powdered sugar, for sprinkling

Since I had no buttermilk, I subbed a single serving package of fat free Chobani yogurt (plain, though I imagine vanilla would work just fine too) with 1/4 cup of fat free half and half. This ended up measuring to about 3/4 cup of "buttermilk."

"Buttermilk" (yogurt + half and half)
I would have preferred to use butter in this cake, but since I still have Crisco to use up, I used a giant stick of Crisco which was equivalent to 2 sticks of regular size shortening.

First things first. Preheat your oven to 350. Grease and flour your bundt pan (hahaha). In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.


In another bowl (or if you're lazy, your measuring cup) combine the yogurt + half and half, pumpkin, and vanilla.
"Buttermilk" with pumpkin and vanilla added.
 Such a pretty color!


With your pretty stand mixer (mine is named Wilbur "Splorge" Plantagenet, if I haven't introduced you already), cream together butter and sugar until it's light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat for another minute.


Reduce the speed and beging to add the flour and the pumpkin mixtures alternately, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix just until smooth.

Scoop all that batter into your bundt pan. I was too lazy to wipe down splotches. Oh well. 


Bake about 45 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the cake's center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for about 10-15 minutes, then dump it out of the pan, and cool for another 10-15 minutes before serving. I dusted my cake with powdered sugar before sharing it at the Institute for Writing Studies Thanksgiving Party. Since I came home nary a crumb, I think it was a big hit. Sorry no pics of the finished product! I'm pretty sure I was rushing out the door to make it to the party on time.


No comments:

Post a Comment