Friday, January 27, 2012

A Breakfast Silkie

I've been trying out all kinds of smoothies lately. That's an exaggeration. I've tried just a few. I like them. They're fun. They're portable. I am allowed to drink them in my cubicle without having to go to the break room. But I am having a litte trouble with the whole hiding your greens in your smoothie thing. I know that this is because the grocery store didn't have baby spinach, so I just got regular spinach ... bad.idea. There was a definite texture difference. Boo.

So this week, I've been letting that spinach wilt in the fridge (sorry!) while I take my smoothies in another direction. Enter the medjool date. I've never had dates before. And I was seriously missing out. You guys, if you've never had eaten a date, go out right now and buy some. You won't be sorry. I bought them because I keep seeing them in smoothie recipes. Yesterday, I made a smoothie with almond milk, banana, date, honey, and flax seed. I almost put strawberries in it ... but didn't. The lack of fruit and veg (goodbye spinach) makes the texture a lot less thick ... hence the title of this post. Smoothie seemed too thick for this beverage. I have decided to name it a Silkie. Shut up.

1 - 1 1/4 cup of almond milk
1 banana, sliced
1 T ground flax seed
1/4 - 1/2 t honey
1/4 t cinnamon
a couple dashes of turmeric (you don't even notice it)

Whirl in the blender and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment