Saturday, January 21, 2012

Corn Bread

I was planning to have eat our chili with tortilla chips tonight, but then I decided to make a lightning fast guacamole with my one fading avocado. Good thing I did, as this poor fella would not have lasted another day. Man was that delicious and easy guac, but it left me not wanting tortilla chips with the chili. After walking the dogs, I decided I had to whip up some quick cornbread.


Turning to my ever-burgeoning collection of Moosewood cookbooks, I picked out the Basic Corn Bread recipe from The New Moosewood Cookbook and adapted it slightly to what I had in my kitchen, i.e., not buttermilk and not an easy way to melt butter. Yes, it's true, I have been living without a microwave since August 2009. You get used to it.

My verdict on the cornbread -- delicious, but it really should be eaten with chili. It's tasty, but not sweet. Great for sopping up those savory chili flavors though. In my first bowl I crumbled it on top, but in my second bowl, I spooned the chili right over top a slab of cornbread. So good!

Corn Bread
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 cup milk (I used skim)
1 egg
3 T honey
3 T olive oil

Preheat your oven to 350* and grease an 8x8 or 9x9 square pan. Combine your dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. In a separate small bowl, combine egg, honey, milk, and oil. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined. Pour into the pan and spread to edges. Bake for 20 minutes or until center is firm. Serve with chili!


No comments:

Post a Comment