Saturday, January 21, 2012

Vegetarian Chili

Disclaimer: I am not a vegetarian. When it comes to chili, I feel pretty strongly that it should have delicious ground beef in it. But it is one of my 30-before-30 goals to make conscious decisions to eat less meat, so I'm giving it a shot. And I do love me some beans. I might even make some cornbread to go with it...

I rarely cook chili with a recipe, so we'll see how this goes. Normally it's a stovetop deal in a big pot, but since our stove is now a single-burner-plugged-into-the-wall, I think crock pot chili is the way to go this evening.

Vegetarian Chili
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 med onion, chopped
1 drizzle of olive oil
1 15-oz can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-oz can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 28-oz can diced tomates
1 6-oz can tomato paste
chili powder
cumin
cayenne pepper
crushed red pepper
salt
black pepper
parsley
fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)

In a small skillet, heat drizzle of olive oil. Saute onions and garlic, with a pinch of salt and black pepper, for a few minutes. Add some chili pepper and cumin to the mixture and stir. Toss into the crock pot. Add all the beans and the diced tomatoes and their juice.

Spice it up! I couldn't guess too well at these spices. I like a lot of spice, so I do several healthy shakes of chili powder and cumin, maybe 1 T of each. Less of the cayenne, maybe 1/4 t. A little more salt, start with 1/4 t but probably no more than 1/2 t. Add a few turns of fresh-cracked black pepper and a few shakes of crushed red pepper.

Cook in the crock on low 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. About halfway through add the can of tomato paste, and stir to combine. My crock pot always seems to heat more quickly than expected, so know your machine. Stir it occasionally and continue to season to taste. Garnish with fresh cilantro, maybe some sour cream or shredded cheddar. This would probably be great with a minced jalapeño too.

Tonight we are serving with corn bread. Maaaybe recipe to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment